Sunday, March 4, 2018

The Film Opening's Genre

Hey guys, sorry for the late post. So the film opening is going to have a mix of a sports (obviously) and a drama genre. Farjad and I want to the opening to keep a serious tone between the audience and our protagonist, and a drama fits this perfectly. Like I've said in my previous post, I want to include some elements from other beloved sports dramas, such as "The Blind Side," that use certain techniques to appeal to their target audience's emotions and make them feel invested in the characters and plot. Also, after watching a pretty cool TED Talk video in my class a week ago, in which a Pixar executive discussed the best ways to tell a story (you can find the video here) I feel like having a drama could add to the investment that the audience feels.

For the target audience of the film opening, I believe that it should be somewhat close to males ages 14 to 25. I wanted the audience to have this specific age group as I feel that they would be most connected to the protagonist who is in high school and trying to get to college. According to the 2016 Theatrical Market Statistics (you can find the entire review here), the top three age groups that went to the movies the most were 18-24 year olds, 12-17 year olds, and 25-39 year olds, respectively. Its is also possible that I could increase the age to maybe 30 instead of 25 as I feel that the original age group might be too exclusive. Overall, I think the genre and the audience that we've decided on fit the film opening pretty well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My CCR

This is the final version of my CCR You can view it on Google Drive here and on YouTube here